For this post, I want to talk about the coleslaw I just made today.

    So for the last 4 weeks, I have been volunteering at a CSA (community supported agriculture) and for doing so, I get to take home lots of veggies.  Good thing, too because that is all I am eating right now!  I have been saving a lot of money at the grocery store.  I love it!  So this week, I brought home some wonderful things, many of which I cant wait to get creative with and write about it all and share the goodness!  Well, I got two huge heads of purple cabbage, a few bunches of purple kale, and a bunch of beets, but not just any old beets, I got the Chioggia beets.  These are the sweetest of the beets, and they look pretty cool sliced, and realy cool when shreded!

But lets see, I started with the kale.  Now, I have been reading in a lot of books, and online raw food blogs about wilting your kale with sea salt, but I wasn't sure exactly how, until I found a video on YouTube.com about making a raw coleslaw with wilted kale.  And so I was inspired to make one similar.  Mine of course is a lot more radical than the one I saw on YouTube.com. 
 After slicing the kale in thin strips (I used about  8 stalks), sprinkle a teaspoon or less of sea salt over the kale, and massage it in, you will notice a difference in the kale as it softens, and the moisture starts to come out of it, it will seem wetter.  I used Smoked Sea Salt, its my newest fun ingredient in some really great dishes I have made lately.
 (more to come on that subject).
Just set aside the wilted kale until ready to toss in with the rest of the ingredients. 
Then slice thin strips of cabbage, toss in a large mixing bowl.  I used half of an extremely large purple cabbage.
Then for the beets, I used the shredding tool on my food processor.  Oh, just to update you on the food processor, I did finally buy my own, and gave back my landlord's.  I think I used about 6 or 7 small to medium sized beets, shredded them up and tossed them on top of the cabbage.
Then for the dressing, I put everything in the processor, and wizzed until thicker and creamyish:

approximate measurements always:
1/4-1/3 cup raw honey
1/2- 3/4 cup raw apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp mustard powder
2 cloves garlic
one very small onion
(it was only like 1 inch by 2 inches big)
olive oil.

Put all ingredients except the olive oil in the processor, and process untill purreed good, then slowly add the olive oil.  How much?  I really dont know, maybe like 1/2 cup or less.  I just pour it in very slowly until it feels right.  I know, I am sorry, I know not everyone can prepare food this way, and I know it leaves a lot to the guessing, but thats how I do it.  If you are afraid to mess it up, just dive in and give it a go.  How bad can it be?  The more you create in the kitchen, you will become more comfortable with just winging it.
OK, notice there is no salt in the dressing.  Thats because there will be a bit of saltiness coming from what was massaged into the kale, so DO NOT add salt to your dressing if you taste it and think it needs a bit,
just wait, it'll be alright!
Toss in the greens, and pour in the dressing, and work it with two forks, or salad tossers, or whatever, but you will need a tool in each hand, the wilted kale doesnt want to mix in very nicely, so you need to force it into submission!  All you domanatrixes at heart, just fantasize while you poke and prode your raw.... ok back to the kitchen.

After you get it mixed up pretty good, now for the extra bits that make this coleslaw so good:
Add in about 3/4 cup of raw sunflower seeds, and about a cup of coconut flakes. 
Toss until well mixed, and enjoy!


I brought some of this to a little dinner gathering tonight, and it got RAVE reviews, and it dissapeared FAST!  I saw a few folks go back for more!  It is really a very unique salad to bring to any pot luck or family picnic, it is so beautiful to look at, and even the children love it!
I hope you try to make this salad, its worth the effort, and really, I was making this all in the last 15 minutes before I had to rush off to work, so this is a very simple and quick dish to make as well.
ENJOY!